Get introduced to the wonder-grain Quinoa! Do you feel the constant pressure of squeezing in the nutrients in the diet of your family especially in a vegetarian diet? Introduce your diet to the powerhouse of nutrients Quinoa, pronounced “Keen-wah” which is undoubtedly the mother of all grains and truly a superfood.
Nutritional Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa, a 7000 year old grain, is one of the very few plant foods that is a rich source of almost all nutrients.
- One of the richest sources of protein – One cup of cooked quinoa contains 8 grams of protein! It contains all nine essential amino acids making it a complete protein. It contains Lysine, the rarely found amino-acid, which is essential for tissue growth and repair.
- Twice as much fiber – It contains more fiber than most other grains making it suitable for gastric health.
- Rich source of minerals like Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Iron – These are much essential for detoxification, energy production and growth of red blood cells.
- Rich in Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) – This helps improve energy metabolism.
- Rich in Anti-oxidants – Human body produces free radicals which damage the molecules and the anti-oxidants produced in our body are not enough to counteract with these free radicals. Hence diet rich in anti-oxidants help in neutralizing the free radicals to repair body at molecular level. Quinoa has the highest number of anti-oxidants compared to most other grains. Besides, it also contains the flavonoids, plant anti-oxidants that attach to DNA and form a protection barrier against the attack of free radicals.
- An excellent grain to aid weight-loss – Being rich in protein, fiber and anti-oxidants, this super-grain keeps you full for longer, thereby reducing the calorie intake.
- Gluten-free – Not only is Quinoa a whole-grain but it is also gluten-free making it an excellent addition to the gluten-free diet.
How to include Quinoa in your diet?
I am sure that with the multiple health benefits that Quinoa has, all of us would definitely want to include this in our diet but the question now arises is how?
Quinoa is the most versatile grain with a little nutty flavour. It can be added to almost any recipe.
- As a replacement for rice. It cooks similar to rice with 1:2 quinoa:water ratio.
- In your idli/dosa batters.
- In your smoothie recipes.
- In soup recipes.
- In our daily rotis/chapatis.
- In baking recipes by replacing part of all-purpose flour with quinoa flour.
Remember, quinoa contains almost 5g fiber in just 1 cup cooked quinoa so in case you feel any bloating or gastric issues, start with lesser quantities to make your body used to eating fiber and then slowly increase the quantity.
Stay tuned for detailed recipes using Quinoa. If you have any recipes, please do mail us and let us know about your creativity 🙂
With all the multiple health benefits that it has, I am sure most of us want to know if we can introduce it in the diet of our little babies. The answer is “Yes” but after the baby is 8 months old. Let us give a nutritious start to the little ones and bless them with lifelong health.
Why Quinoa products by BabyStaples?
Along with all the nutrients that Quinoa contains, it also has some anti-nutrients that can cause side-effects in some people. But when cooked properly, these can be kept at bay.
- Quinoa contains phytic acid which can bind the minerals like Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Iron and reduce their absorption. Quinoa by BabyStaples is soaked to reduce the phytic acid content and make these minerals more easily bio-available.
- Quinoa is known to be coated with Saponins which act as anti-nutrient, can cause gastric problems and can pose an allergic reaction in most people. Washing Quinoa thoroughly helps in getting rid of these saponins. Quinoa by BabyStaples is 100% saponin-free!
- Quinoa is rich in anti-oxidants that help fight aging and many diseases. Soaking the grains increase the anti-oxidant content further.
So what are you waiting for! Go ahead and grab a few packs for your little one and your family. You can check the following products containing Quinoa at the BabyStaples store –
- Quinoa Khichdi
- Quinoa Zucchini Cereal with Pumpkin and Carrot
- Millet Mix Cereal (contains Quinoa too!)
Use your creativity with these flours and make delicious dosas, pakodas, pesarattu, or soups.