Sugar-Free Apples And Rice Idli Recipe
Idlis make a soft and easy-to-chew dish that is ideal for children of all ages. However, a simple idli may not always please your child’s taste buds, or maybe he/she is just bored of the plain old idli! You can always go ahead and add different salty flavors to this traditional south Indian meal, but here’s how to create a sweet idli that tastes amazing too!
- BabyStaples Apple and Rice Porridge Powder – ¼ cup
- Water – 90 ml
- Baking powder – ¼ tsp (2-4 pinches)
- Sugar (optional) – for extra sweetness
- Mix the Apple and Rice powder with water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Add the baking powder.
- Pour it into greased moulds, and pop it into the microwave or cooker.
- If you are using a microwave, cook it for around 3 minutes.
- If you are using a cooker, cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes. Stick a fork/toothpick in the middle of the idli, and if it doesn’t come out clean, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Your yummy, sweet idli is ready to be served!
The best part about this recipe is the fact that it is naturally sweetened by apple and has absolutely no sugar, making it ideal for younger kids who aren’t supposed to eat too much salt/sugar. The absence of sugar also makes it healthier for older children and even you! (especially if you are trying to cut out calories!). The other best part is that it requires no preparation time, unlike the traditional idli which requires nearly 15 hours of soaking/fermentation time.
So what are you waiting for? Make this for your family’s next breakfast or snack time and watch the delight on everyone’s faces as they savour this delicious dish!
Note – This idli is only mildly sweetened to suit children of all ages. While that is very healthy, if you wish to add an extra hint of sweetness in your meal, please add sugar according to your tastes. If you would like to sweeten them naturally, top the idlis with honey/maple syrup (even chocolate syrup works!)